Table of Contents
Appointment of the Electoral Committee
- At the FGCEOSA Annual General Meeting held on 27 February 2021, a five-member Electoral Committee of Federal Government College Enugu Old Students Association (FGCEOSA), otherwise known as FGCEOSA-EC, was appointed, pursuant to Article 19 of the Constitution of FGCEOSA 2021 (as amended).
- The Electoral Committee was inaugurated on the same day, with members as follows:
- The mandate of the FGCEOSA-EC is specifically to conduct the elections for the Board of Trustees & National Executive Officers for FGCEOSA within 90 days from 27 February 2021. This sets a deadline of 26 May 2021 for the completion of this mandate.
- Pursuant to the above, the Electoral Committee of Federal Government College Enugu Old Students’ Association, FGCEOSA-EC, hereby issues the following Guidelines for the conduct of the 2021 elections to the Board of Trustees and National Executive Offices of FGCEOSA.
Offices To Be Contested
- BOARD OF TRUSTEES:
- Pursuant to Article 13 of the Constitution of FGCEOSA 2021 (as amended), there will be at least five (5), but no more than nine (9) members elected to the FGCEOSA Board of Trustees.
- It is acknowledged by the FGCEOSA-EC that we currently have NO standing Board of Trustees.
- The term for Board of Trustee membership is 5-years
- NATIONAL EXECUTIVE OFFICERS:
- The term for Executive Committee officers is 2 years
- Pursuant to Article 13 of the Constitution of FGCEOSA 2021 (as amended), the following National Offices of the Association are to be contested:
In recognition of the diversity of membership of FGCEOSA, these elections provide an opportunity to have a Board of Trustees and National Executive Officers that are as representative as our membership as possible.
Indeed, this is in pursuant to Article 13.2 of the Constitution of FGCEOSA 2021 (as amended).
The 2021 FGCEOSA Delegate Conference for Elections will hold on Sunday, 23rd May 2021 from 5pm (WAT) to 7pm (WAT).
By virtue of Article 16.3 of the Constitution of FGCEOSA 2021 (as amended), a member of the Association shall be qualified to hold a National Office if:
- His / Her Alumni Chapter/Branch or Class Set of the Association sponsors him / her for the particular National Office.
- His / Her Alumni Chapter/Branch or Class Set must have met all financial and other obligations due to the Association.
- He / She must be financially up to date.
- He / She has participated actively in FGCEOSA activities.
- Provided that:
- Aspirants to the offices of Financial Secretary and Internal Auditor shall be practicing accountants or persons with financial and/or accounting qualifications.
- Aspirants to the office of Legal Adviser shall be Legal Practitioners of at least ten (10) years post call.
- Geo-political zone of the individual, location of his/her Chapter/Branch and gender equity shall, as much as practicable, be considered in electing the National Officers to ensure that the membership always reflects National spread and is representative of the Association’s diverse membership.
- A National Officer of the Association shall not qualify for re-election to the same office after serving two consecutive terms of two years each, but he/she shall be qualified for re-election after at least one intervening term of two years.
- A National Officer shall cease to hold office if the members in plenary pass a vote of no confidence on him/her by two-thirds majority of members present and voting.
- A National Officer who is indicted for any offence bothering on fraud or gross misconduct, likely to bring the image of the Association into disrepute or ridicule shall be expelled from the Association by a simple majority votes of members of the Association.
Nomination Of Candidates
Each Chapter/Branch/Class Set shall submit a nomination list via their President/Representative as follows:
- Board of Trustees:
- A maximum of 10 nominees from each Chapter/Branch/Class Set.
- For the National Executive Officers:
- An individual can be nominated by him- or herself, by a third party or by a set/chapter/branch.
- In the event of a third-party nomination, consent must be duly obtained from the nominee before submission.
- A set/chapter/branch may nominate anyone from within itself or from other sets in the association.
Delegate Conference Membership
Pursuant to Article 12.1 of the Constitution of FGCEOSA 2021 (as amended) defines the delegate conference to hold within a Plenary Session/Annual General Meeting or Emergency Plenary Session but only for the purpose of election of Members of the Board of Trustees, National Officers, Constitutional Amendments, making of Byelaws and Standing Orders.
By virtue of the above, an Emergency Plenary Session is hereby stated for the date of the Election in Section 4 of this document – Sunday, 23rd May 2021 from 5pm (WAT) to 7pm (WAT).
In addition, pursuant to Article 12.2 of the Constitution of FGCEOSA 2021 (as amended), the following delegates are notified and invited to this session.
- Board of Trustee members
- Executive Committee Members: As defined in Article 15.1 of the Constitution of FGCEOSA 2021 (as amended), these are:
- National (Executive) Officers of the Association
- Immediate past President of the Association
- Serving Chapters Representatives and Cass Set Representatives of the Association
- A maximum of three (3) representatives from each of the Class sets of FGCEOSA.
- A representative of any Chapter of FGCEOSA in existence and known to the Association.
The delegate conference shall be virtual and held via a voting app https://electionrunner.com/ with voting polls for all positions. All votes will be verified and will be by secret ballot by virtue of Article 19.9 of the Constitution of FGCEOSA 2021 (as amended).
Results of the election will be collated and verified by the app and published immediately on the website same day Sunday, 23rd May 2021
Ends 1st May
Nominations for candidates is now open, and will remain open till Saturday 1st May 2021. Click here to nominate a candidate.
23rd May 2021
The 2021 FGCEOSA Delegate Conference for Elections will hold on Sunday, 23rd May 2021 from 5pm – 7pm (WAT).